Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thank Heavens for Water Towers!

One of my many shortcomings is that I am directionally challenged. Moving to Illinois has totally turned my internal compass upside down. I’m not sure if I’m going south or north, east or west. It doesn’t help when I am driving on a road and then the road’s name changes. In Utah I know which way I’m heading because of the mountains and when I was living in California I had several external landmarks that would aid as my directional compass. I want you to know that Illinois (and probably most of the other Midwestern states) have local landmarks that have helped me immensely. They are a city or town's water towers. These unique and special landmarks hover like a spaceship or hot air balloon over the skyline, through the tree limbs, and even housetops indicating a particular town, city or township. I have noticed that each city’s water towers are unique and special. I am posting a short slide show of Aurora’s water towers along with some of the water towers or towns that are close by Aurora. Thank heavens for water towers! To make sure I don’t get lost and find myself somewhere in Iowa, Lynn broke down and bought us a GPS. The GPS has opened my world to a whole new adventure and another way to travel through Illinois. No matter where we go we will always be able to find our way back home.

________________________________________________
Rosemont, IL had a water tower that resembled a rose, stem and all.

(I met my nieces Cori and Kim in Rosemont a few weeks ago) Rosemont has had the most elaborate and fantastic water tower yet.

1 comment:

Ami said...

I think We stayed by one of those water tower on one of our trips home. Love you!! A