Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Sister, Lisa

Monday morning (4/12), my sister Lisa called. She informed me that she had breast cancer and would be having a mastectomy in two (2) days. The doctors found a massive tumor in her right breast. The doctors did not know if the cancer had spread to Lisa's lymph nodes or if she would need chemo or radiation.

I am thrilled to report that my little sister sailed out of both surgical procedures with flying colors. The cancer was pretty much contained in the tumor itself and had not spread to Lisa's lymph nodes.

Steve, Lisa's husband, said Lisa was well enough to go home last night. However, all my family seems to have a very hard time with the anesthesia. I was sick to my stomach for days after my surgeries. I know my mom and sisters have had a hard time with it as well. So, I wasn't surprise to hear that Lisa too was having a reaction to the anesthesia. Lisa's blood pressure was very high and she was pretty light headed so the doctors and Steve wanted to play it safe and had Lisa stay over night in the hospital.

We still will not know where things really stand until the lab work comes back on the tumor cell(s). The plastic surgeon and reconstruction surgery will begin in a few weeks. By next week we will know if she will need chemo and radiation.

I am so thrilled to know that the Lord watches over us all. I know God has a mighty hand in the lives of Lynn and I. For that I truly feel blessed.

-Shelly

No comments: