Friday, August 29, 2008

An adventuresome visit with Morton!

Lynn and I had the wonderful opportunity [Lynn is still questioning my enthusiasm after 8 long hours and sore feet to boot if he had a good time or not.] to tour Chicago's world acclaimed Morton Arboretum, which is located in Lisle, IL. The Morton Arboretum is one of the largest Arboretums in the country. This is the same ‘Morton’ who is the founder of Morton Salt and has ‘Morton’ factories surrounding the Great Salt Lake. The Arboretum’s 1,700 acres is the home to 4,000 different species of trees. In fact, 185,000 plants, bushes and trees, from various global terrains, have been catalogued and are viewable while touring the 14 miles of hiking trails and nine miles of roadways.

Lynn and I, of course, started our tour on the tram that shuttled visitors around the park. After our guided tour we took our car around the park so I could get better pictures of the Arboretum and plant life. Some of our favorite moments were walking through the interactive ‘Children’s Garden’ and the ‘Maze Garden’. They were spectacular and so fun to explore. This summer the Arboretum’s landscape was dotted by humongous ants. The ants were made entirely out of wood fibers and sticks. I hope you can see in the pictures the intricate detail of the ants.

I apologize in advance for all the pictures, but I did scale them back from what I did have for our blog site. You are viewing the short(er) version of our visit to Morton Arboretum. Sleeping Lynn slept through most of the complete epic screening of our trip.

-Shelly

No comments: